Sunday 16 January 2011

30 Day blog challenge: Day 15 — A fanfic & Day 16 — A song that makes you cry (or nearly)

yes, yes, i know - cheating again.  in my defence, i can only say that for the last hour and a half, i have been wrestling with my internet connection, so you wuld have had day 15's post on day 15 if my sparkles hadn't fizzled and caused repeated headdesking.  i am now back to using my phone as a modem, as it's far too late at night to be dealing with someone in a call centre who does not have English as their mother tongue and who will inevitably ask me "did you try turning it off and then back on again?" (to which the  answer, of course, is "YES!!!" >_< )

ok, day 15 - a fanfic.

so....  what?  one i wrote, or one i enjoy?  makes no difference either way, since i neither read nor write fanfic.  i know lots of people do.  and gain a very great deal of enjoyment from those acts.  i confess, though, it's not a thing that has ever appealed to me.  for me as a reader and writer, i cannot see the point.  as a reader, i want the magic that only comes from the mind of the original author.  as a writer, i wouldn't want to mess with beloved characters, and i would be forever comparing my work with the original and finding it wanting.  i have enough problems with confidence, thankyouverymuch..  this doesn't mean, though, that i look down on it, or disdain it - i just don't think it's for me.

...er...sorry.

day 16 - a song that makes you cry (or nearly)

well, one we've had already - on day one of this challenge, in fact.  but there is another that leaps almost immediately to mind, and it's this one:


Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris

alternatively, this one is achingly poignant, and the more i listen to it, the sadder it gets.  it makes my soul weep.


Famous Blue Raincoat by Leonard Cohen

P.S. these may or may not show up, the aforementioned problems and a new (to) me feature of Blogger may let me down.  let me know if they do, and if the songs make you cry, too...

.

1 comment:

  1. A song that makes me cry is Go Rest High on that Mountain - by Vince Gill

    The two little boy song is very sad and sweet. Reminds me of Two little Sisters - by Carly Simon

    ReplyDelete